Saturday, February 12, 2011

This Is A Song About Springtime


Well, another mostly lazy week here in Romania. Io went back to her nursing job at least a few days, although we had to take a couple days off during the week for baby-related medical appointments. All systems go, they tell us. Delivery date is now centering around March 22, and not a day too soon, I think.

















The weather has warmed up quite a bit, occasionally cracking 50 degrees. Most of the snow and ice has melted away, and with any luck it won't return and winter is on its way out. We'll see, though. It's so great being able to walk places at a brisk pace rather than shuffling over the ice. There's still ice in some places, but for the most part streets and sidewalks are clear, which makes everything in life happen much faster and more efficiently. After nearly 20 years in LA, it's weird to have life so beholden to the elements.

The warmer temperatures also mean the return of running season, although I haven't taken advantage of that yet. But I will! Honest. Someday.


But it's just nice to be able to go out without having to put on 500 layers of clothing. Spring is around the corner.














Io and I taught our first ESL class this week. I should have taken memorial photographs but forgot. So, more kittens:


Teaching the ESL class was fun. I've never done anything like it before, so it was an interesting learning experience. It was great "working" with Io and generally went pretty well. We would make a hell of a teaching team if there were any way to make a living at it. The two students both said they'd be back next week, and we have another pair of students starting next week as well. How this is going to work once the baby is born, I have no clue, but it's fun for now.

Now a new weekend dawns, with much excitement in store. But I don't want to spoil anything, so you'll just have to wait for the next blog update. I started the weekend off right, though: Tania whipped up a batch of gogoas, which are a different kind of donuts from the papanas she made before, sort of similar to sassy donuts (which I love). That makes four kinds of donuts here in Romania. You know how they say Eskimos have nine different words for snow? Imagine a society that invents four kinds of donuts. Just try. You can't do it. But I am living that dream.




So there you go. Not much for six days since the last update, right? I promise to be interesting and funny next time.

Right after I start running.

No comments:

Post a Comment