Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Don't Know Why You Say Goodbye


Time is really drawing to an end. It's difficult to get my head around. Leaving Gabe?

















Today I went on my Farewell Tour. It really only had two stops on it, because I don't know many people here and most of them live in the same house with me. First stop was Aunt Reli, who seemed genuinely sad to see me go even though we've only met five or ten times.

In a strange way, I think people see my leaving as a symbol of Gabe leaving. Reli said goodbye to me in a very nice and heartfelt way, and then she went to see Gabe (who was still in his carseat), and started crying. Similarly, at stop #2 (the great-grandparents), the G-G's were sad to see me going, but great-grandma Negru really started getting teary talking about Gabe, how he's going to grow up and they won't see it, and joking that it's okay for me and Io to go but we have to leave Gabe with them. I'm like, He's not going anywhere. This is the whole point, from my perspective.

But I guess my going is sort of making everyone realize that time is passing and soon enough, everything will change. So Reli was pretty emotional about Gabriel, as was great-grandma. Which I think shows that even at just three months old he is a LADY-KILLER.

Just like his dad.

No woman can resist me.


Stop #2, like I sort of already gave away, was the Negrus' place in Rahova. Great-grandpa and great-grandma were very happy to see us, and for once we were going at a time when Tania could go as well, so she got to see her parents. We hung out for a long time enjoying summer on their miniature farm. It was cool to see all the stuff coming in: bunches of grapes are growing on all the vines, figs, cherries, herbs, tomatoes, the whole nine yards. There was lots of conversation, and much attention lavished on Gabe.



























































A fine time was had by all. It's been really great getting to know great-grandpa and great-grandma during the six months I've been here. Their lives are amazing, and so different from what mine has been like.

After that, we headed home, fed Gabe, and then Io, Tania, Gabe, and Sir Gagi the Gadgetfixer (and I) went out to dinner. This was my thank-you dinner to them for putting up with me all these months. We headed out to Cantina Verde, a nice place that is walking-distance and has a baby-friendly outdoor patio. The weather was perfect and the food was great.










Thanks, in-laws!

It's all difficult, though. It's like, we have this great dinner, and then walking back to the bloc Io and I can't help but think that's the last nice dinner we're going to have together for a long while. It's so nice to go out with your wife and have a good meal outside and then walk home. I will miss it very much.

And that's basically it. I'm here all day tomorrow, but it'll mostly be packing and getting stuff organized and ready for my arrival back in LA, dealing with last-minute laundry and financial stuff, etc. I leave first thing Tuesday morning.











Delicious Frog Doll





Moment of Zen:


No comments:

Post a Comment